UPDATE: The Olympic Tent Village has been set up at 58 West Hastings, an empty lot owned by notorious condo developer Concord Pacific, currently being leased by VANOC as a parking lot for the Olympics.
*** The Olympic Tent Village needs your support ***
The Olympic Tent Village, a grassroots and autonomous community effort, which will be public on Feb 15th will need YOUR support and solidarity to keep going! We are relying on the determination of the DTES community and the strength of our supporters during the Olympic period.
– Blankets, foams, and sleeping bags (for DTES and/or homeless residents)
– Non perishable food items (granola bars, trail mixes, peanut butter, rice, beans, couscous etc)
– Books, magazines
– Bus tickets
– Cigarettes, rolling paper
SUPPORTER SHIFTS/TENTING OUT:
– If your organization, group of friends, or community network can commit to a six hour supporter shift (6 am to noon, noon to 6 pm, 6 pm to midnight, midnight to 6 am) with a presence of 8 people, please let us know. We definitely need to ensure a high presence during night times when we are most vulnerable to law enforcement activity.
– Host an art workshop, performances, storytelling or poetry evening to facilitate the building of connection and community.
This is a critical time to take concrete action about the ongoing poverty, homelessness, and criminalization in the DTES, which cannot be sanitized or hidden for the Olympics. Once the Tent Village is up (and public), FEB. 15th, we encourage you to please stop by.
Thank you for your support. Please respond to us at the contacts below if you are able to donate any of the above items and would like to arrange pick up/drop off.
Streams of Justice
DONATION DROP OFFS: Baaad Anna’s: – 2667 East Hastings St., Vancouver.
Monday – Sunday (11 am to 6 pm). 604-255-2577